Tuesday, April 12, 2011

There`s more than one way to do life

Am reactivating this blog to help family and friends keep up to date with our family`s doings to whatever extent they might wish. This instalment: Travelling to Japan from NZ early April, 2011. The trip went well overall. Sachi was even more settled than six months ago; now at one-and-a-half she is a more seasoned traveller. We were pleasantly surprised to be farewelled at Momona Airport by about 10 Japanese mums with their children. Guys, you shouldn`t have, but your presence was much appreciated. (Tamami-san, we won $10 with one of the scratch cards that you gave us!) We stayed overnight in Auckland at a rather grungy hotel, but it was cheap. The tap in the bathroom failed, and the owner and son were busy working on the plumbing in the next room while we slept. The only travel hiccup was when the airline wouldn`t let me board the plane, as my return date was after my three-month visa. (We`d been told to apply in Japan for my spouse visa as it is easier that way. Tip of the day: it is never easy.) Managed to make another booking on the spot for June or July, which I`ll cancel. We spent a second night after an 11-hour trip to Tokyo, and then three hours later another 2-hour flight to Fukuoka. Took a taxi to the youth hostel and then the next day to the railway station. Six pieces of luggage mostly with wheels. It was doable . . . just. After the bullet train to Kumamoto, Mami`s mother and sister Rumi took us the rest of the way by car. The first few days in Uto City have been very quiet and pleasant with great spring weather. Our mountain bike takes me around wherever I need to go (to the library where I`m typing this for instance). I`m searching for a child`s bicycle seat for Sachi. I have books to browse and a stamp collection to sort. There`s a tape cassette player for my Berlize language lessons. And I came across the book Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman that I`ve already read and had left behind the last time we stayed with the Japanese grandparents. I think it was used for a recent film with Julia Roberts. And that`s where the title of this post--More than one way to do life--originates. I plan to explore the present journey in greater detail.

No comments: